Thursday 28 May 2015

Thursday Quotables ~ A School for Unusual Girls by Kathleen Baldwin

Hosted by BookshelfFantasies

It's Thursday Quotables today! Thursday Quotables is all about sharing a favorite quote, line, or passage from your reading each week. You know it's a good read when you come across a bunch of memorable quotes!

This week's quote comes from A School for Unusual Girls by Kathleen BaldwinA School for Unusual Girls is a YA historical fiction espionage novel, centred around Miss Georgiana Fitzwilliam and the secrets she unearths whilst residing in the mysterious Stranje House

There were so many great quotes to choose from. But I managed to settle on a few quotes that I think really showcase the imaginative and entertaining writing style of the novel (plus included one of my favourite characters from the novel!):

Quote #1: 'When he tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear, it was outside of enough. He had no right to touch my person in such an intimate way. He was my assistant, not my brother, and certainly not my lover. He’d made that abundantly clear this morning. 
“Don’t,” I snapped. 
“It was in your way,” he said matter-of-factly. 
“I’ve grown accustomed to looking through my hair. Must you stand so close?” 
“Would you have me miss the most interesting part of the experiment?” 
I exhaled my irritation. “No. I suppose not. But I would prefer if you stood beside me, instead of breathing down my neck. It feels as if you are a great hulking giant about to thump me should I do anything amiss.” 
“What an odd thing to say.” He sounded genuinely surprised, almost offended. Still he didn’t budge from leaning over my shoulder. In fact, his breath tickled even more, warming the sensitive skin just below my earlobe. “Young ladies have never complained about it before.” 
“Young ladies enjoy you breathing down their necks, do they?” The stupid question popped out before I’d thought it through. I cringed the minute it escaped my lips.
“Prodigiously,” he said into my neck.'

Quote #2: 'I clutched the books to my bosom. It was exactly what I’d suspected. “So, you are a spy.” 
“No. A diplomatic attaché.” 
“Which is a fancy way of saying a spy.” 
He shook his head. “That bump on your head must’ve injured your brain.” 
“Your concern is touching,” I said, pointing out that he hadn’t yet asked after my health. “But you needn’t worry, my brain is quite well. Well enough to deduce the obvious.” 
“Apparently not, since you are sorely mistaken. I am a member of the Office of Foreign Affairs, a diplomat, as was my father, and his father before him.” He explained all this using the same tone and forbearance Miss Grissmore had used when explaining higher mathematics to me when I was only ten. I found his overblown patience both entertaining and annoying. “As such,” he continued, “I am sworn to protect Britain’s interests and that of her allies. If, on occasion, that means I must go about my task quietly and without drawing attention to my identity, I only do so in order to fulfil my duties as a sworn protector of King and country.” 
“Quietly. Yes, I see,” I said, tapping one finger against my lips. “Because, clearly, you are a spy.”'

What did you think of these quotes? Have you read A School for Unusual Girls, or do you plan to? Let me know your thoughts below!

__________

About this book:

It’s 1814. Napoleon is exiled on Elba. Europe is in shambles. Britain is at war on four fronts. And Stranje House, a School for Unusual Girls, has become one of Regency England’s dark little secrets. The daughters of the beau monde who don't fit high society’s constrictive mold are banished to Stranje House to be reformed into marriageable young ladies. Or so their parents think. In truth, Headmistress Emma Stranje, the original unusual girl, has plans for the young ladies—plans that entangle the girls in the dangerous world of spies, diplomacy, and war.  

After accidentally setting her father’s stables on fire while performing a scientific experiment, Miss Georgiana Fitzwilliam is sent to Stranje House. But Georgie has no intention of being turned into a simpering, pudding-headed, marriageable miss. She plans to escape as soon as possible—until she meets Lord Sebastian Wyatt. Thrust together in a desperate mission to invent a new invisible ink for the English war effort, Georgie and Sebastian must find a way to work together without losing their heads—or their hearts... (x)

1 comment:

  1. That second one is hilarious! I haven't read this book yet but it sounds fabulous! He's totally a spy :D

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...