Tuesday 11 November 2014

ARC Review ~ When by Victoria Laurie

When
By Victoria Laurie 

Rating: 4.6


'Why am I seemingly the only person on earth who can see these numbers? Why did fate choose me for such a cruel gift? 

It's a question I've asked myself a million times, and I'm still looking for the answer. I think there may not be one, because knowing when someone will die has never changed anything. I've never saved anybody or given them more time. 

I'm just the messenger.'

Small black gravestones against a pale white landscape...

Etched onto people's foreheads are little black numbers only Maddie Fynn can see. 

Far from being lucky in nature, these numbers are people's death-dates. Just by looking at someone - either in person, or through a photo - Maddie can tell how long they have left to live. Years, months, weeks...days. 

But not everyone wants to know what the future holds.

Knowing when people are going to die is horrible enough. But having to tell them is even worse. 

In order to make money to support her and her mother, Maddie takes on clients - selling her 'death readings' to the curious, the desperate, the hopeful. And it all goes relatively well...until the day her abilities get her into a whole world of trouble. 

Because a client's son has gone missing. 

And the date he was last seen? The exact date Maddie gave. 

She knows the when...but not the how or why.

The law enforcement are on the case, and there's no room for supernatural abilities in their law books. As more and more young people keep disappearing and turning up murdered, all roads seem to lead to Maddie.

Each of the victims is connected to her in some way. But who's pulling the strings?

And what - or who - do they want?

A tangle of mystery and layered emotions, When is a book to look out for.

If you love a good mystery - with a touch of the paranormal, and a romance that doesn't overpower the plot - then When is definitely for you. Be sure to grab your copy of When when it's released on January 13th 2015...and join Maddie on her race against the clock!


**A big thank you to Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book**

2 comments:

  1. Hm, this sounds like a good book, but I am not sure how I would be able to read it! I loved another book a few years ago by Rachel Ward, called Numbers, about someone who can also see peoples death dates when she makes eye contact. It was an AMAZING trouble, so great I could ignore the excessive swearing. But if I read this, I might end up comparing and not enjoy it as much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's often difficult to read books that are very alike - it often leads to me comparing them and not fully enjoying the reading experience. And Numbers sounds like an interesting book. I'll be sure to add it to my TBR pile!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...