Thursday 19 October 2017

Drink Your Way Through A Court of Thorns & Roses: Tea Edition


'"Who wants someone around who's covered in thorns? (...) Thorny. Prickly. Sour. Contrary."
He leaned forward and kissed me lightly. "Not forever," he said onto my mouth.'

There are few books I adore more than A Court of Thorns and Roses. After all what is not to love about a Sarah J. Maas book that (A) includes a feisty heroine, (B) is a fairytale re-telling, and (C) features gorgeous fae men?

You know what would make this great book even better? Tea!



Today I've paired up A Court of Thorns and Roses characters with tea choices that I felt were destined to be their better half. I've also included a few A Court of Thorns and Roses (ACOTAR) Moments To Drink To for each character - moments that not only link well with the chosen tea, but that are just too awesome not to raise a teacup to!

So without further ado...let's get sipping!








Character: Feyre
Drink: Cranberry and Pomegranate (Twinings)


The Cranberry and Pomegranate tea is one that pairs well with Feyre's fiery personality and inner strength. The bittersweet hints of pomegranate compliment the sweetness of the cranberry, making for a cup of tea that is full-bodied and rich in flavour.

I also liked how the inclusion of pomegranate - a fruit whose origins are steeped in mythology - fit well with the storyline of ACOTAR. Feyre, like Persephone, becomes trapped in a strange world, the captive of a brooding figure, due to a life-changing choice that she makes (Feyre's choice however does not involve fruit!).

There is also this pull between the world of mortals and the world of magic, myth, and legend. Just like Persephone and her dual nature, Feyre's dual nature comes into play during ACOTAR and the following books in the series. The tea brings to mind a woman who has all the makings of a heroine and who has the strength to do what must be done.


ACOTAR Moments To Drink To


“I threw myself into that fire, threw myself into it, into him, and let myself burn.”



“I wouldn't want to die alone," I said, and my voice wobbled as I looked at Tamlin again, forcing myself to meet his stare. "Because I'd want someone to hold my hand until the end, and awhile after that. That's something everyone deserves, human or faerie.” 


“I was loosened, a top whirling around and around, and I didn't know who I danced with or what they looked like, only that I had become the music and the fire and the night, and there was nothing that could slow me down.” 













Character: Rhysand
Drink: Jaffalicious (T2)


This Jaffalicious tea is an utter delight and wickedly decadent. A rush of alternating chocolate notes combined with bursts of citrus, this tea is just as mischievous and devilish as the ruler of the Night Court himself.

This tea, like Rhysand, has hidden depths and isn't as bitter or dark as it appears. One of my favourite parts of ACOTAR is the way that Rhysand, a secondary character, slowly steps into the spotlight as his character evolves from 'possibly evil hot fae lord' to 'he's totally misunderstood and a total cutie pie'. True, both sides of Rhysand are deadly when provoked! But there are hints of a hidden heart, a sweeter side to his wicked ways. Next time you settle down with ACOTAR and stumble across Rhys and his swoonworthy smile, be sure to have a cup of Jaffaclicious ready to go!

(Note: For the sake of pretty pictures I left the loose leaf tea in the cup in order to show off its colours, textures, etc. When making your own cup at home, the tea would be taken out after it has steeped.)


ACOTAR Moments To Drink To


'He (...) shrugged. "Because when the legends get written, I didn't want to be remembered for standing on the sidelines. I want my future offspring to know that I was there, and that I fought against her at the end, even if I couldn't do anything useful."
I blinked, this time not at the brightness of the sun.
"Because," he went on, his eyes locked with mine, "I didn't want you to fight alone. Or die alone."'


“Because all the monsters have been let out of their cages tonight, no matter what court they belong to. So I may roam wherever I wish until the dawn.”



"Why are you telling me this?"
The swagger and nastiness were gone. "Because I'm tired and lonely, and you're the only person I can talk to without putting myself at risk." He let out a low laugh. "How absurd: a High Lord of Prythian and a - "
"You can leave if you're just going to insult me."
"But I'm so good at it". He flashed one of his grins. I glared at him.'














Character: Tamlin
Drink: Lemon Sorbet (T2)


Nothing quite says High Lord of the Spring Court like a cup of Lemon Sorbet tea! A mixture of zesty and sweet, this is the kind of tea that you can't help but be drawn to. Just like Tamlin, it inspires a feeling of warmth and a little touch of wildness.

What is intriguing about Tamlin is that, as far as I was aware of growing up, the ideas that 'spring' brought to mind were always lighthearted and frivolous in nature - the complete opposite of this High Lord. True, there are moments where he lets loose a little, but it's a fine balance of freedom and control. Tamlin, like this tea, walks a fine line between the two - a thrilling journey from start to finish.

(Note: Again, for the sake of pretty pictures I left the loose leaf tea in the cup in order to show off its colours, textures, etc. When making your own cup at home, the tea would be taken out after it has steeped.)


ACOTAR Moments To Drink To


'The golden-haired High Fae's mask gleamed with the last rays of the afternoon sunshine. (...) When I didn't move, he sighed sharply. "What do you want, then?"

I said nothing. (...) Lucien drawled from his seat along the length of the table, " I told you so, Tamlin. (...) Your skills with females have definitely become rusty in recent decades."'


'“You look . . . better than before."
Was that a compliment? I could have sworn Lucien gave Tamlin an encouraging nod.
"And you hair is . . . clean.”'


'Tamlin paused, so close that one swipe of those claws lurking under his skin could rip my throat out. That was why the leather baldric bore no weapons: why use them when you were a weapon yourself?' 















Which tea pairing was your favourite? Which book/series/character would you like to see a 'Drink Your Way Through' post of next?

Let me know in the comments below!



















TitleA Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas


Description
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price...


Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

Add to your Goodreads bookshelf today!




2 comments:

  1. Very creative! As a tea drinker and book advocate myself, I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! Haha I totally understand as a fellow tea obsessed bookworm <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...